A Classic Day of Tournaments Honoring the Memory of Seymour Frankel Rallies Wide Range of Support for the Care of our Elders
JGS Lifecare, a leading health care system serving seniors and their families, hosted its 40th Annual Frankel-Kinsler Classic Day of Tournaments at Twin Hills Country Club in Longmeadow. Drawing more than 200 guests attracted to golf and card-playing tournaments, the event raised over $115,000 to support senior care in the Leavitt Jewish Home, Ruth’s House Assisted Living, Sosin Center for Rehabilitation, Wernick Adult Day Health Care, and Genesis House.
“We’re overwhelmed by the tremendous show of support from businesses and individuals throughout Western Massachusetts, said director of development Susan Halpern. “Event proceeds will enrich programming and services for the more than 400 people cared for each day across the JGS Lifecare family of services, as well as support staff skill and career advancement through the funding of educational scholarships.”
The August 16th event honored the memory of Seymour Frankel, who passed away on December 31st. Frankel, a stellar volunteer, was a founder of the Classic in 1981 –named originally for the Raymond and Herman Kinsler families and later for Frankel’s son Michael, a past Chairman of the JGS Board who died suddenly in 2013 at age 49.
Tournament Co-chair Jeff Grodsky underscored his great-uncle Seymour’s contributions: “He worked tirelessly for this organization and a number of organizations in town, and he touched everyone in a special way.” Past Board Chairman, Attorney Stephen Krevalin, paid tribute to Frankel who, like others of his generation, “shared an abiding and passionate commitment to care for our needy and our elderly, and in particular the Jewish Nursing Home of Western Massachusetts, now JGS Lifecare. The creation of the Kinsler golf classic 40 years ago was an incredibly important step to help us not only raise significant funds but also share our compelling story with so many. And while the Kinsler tournament raised countless funds for JGS, it is but a small fraction of the contribution and ultimate legacy of Seymour Frankel.”
Krevalin concluded, “In the Jewish tradition, we ask that the memory of the deceased be a blessing. There is no question that Seymour Frankel’s life was truly a blessing.”
After a touching photo slideshow, Past Board Chair Sue Kline presented an original poem highlighting Frankel’s many contributions — a particularly fitting tribute to a man known for penning poems on every special occasion. Scroll down to view the tribute slide show and poem.
Israel Schepps awarded tournament prizes and Richard Halpern announced raffle winners.
Event Sponsors include The Albert & Judith Goldberg Family Foundation; Harry Grodsky & Co, Inc.; The Lynn D. and Gilbert A. Haberman Family Fund at the Jewish Endowment Foundation, a division of the Jewish Federation of Western MA – on behalf of the Haberman, Katz, Webber families and Kittredge Equipment Co.; Steve and Georgianne Roberts; HUB Retirement & Wealth Management formerly Epstein Financial Services; Berkshire Bank; Alekman DiTusa LLC; Century Investment; CliftonLarsonAllen, LLP; Donna, Emma & Joely Frankel; Kaste Industrial Machine Sales, Inc.; Nancy, Jim, Jesse & Ben Pelletier; NEFCO; and ProCare LTC Pharmacy.
For a full list of supporters and to see photos of the picture-perfect day scroll down to the bottom of this post.
“As an organization whose majority of funding comes through Medicaid, the Frankel-Kinsler Classic is an enormously successful and fun way for us to engage the community to help provide fiscal resources for us to maintain our quality of care and enrich our programming,” commented Susan Halpern, director of development.
2021 Frankel-Kinsler Classic Golf Tournament Champions:
- Low Gross – Vincent Guardioni, Anthony Guardioni, K. Cunningham, Jeff Denault
- 2nd Gross – Kevin Green, Darryl Beech, Dave Tabin, Dave Oleksak
- Low Net – Mark Katz, Jerry Schreibstein, Andy Zolator, Ben Falk
- 2nd Net – Ryan Alekman, Rob DiTusa, Corrine Syson, Phil Phillips
- 3rd Net – David Ference, Joe Gozzi, Bruce Devlin, Mike Quinn
- Closest to the Pin – (hole 3) John Enos; (hole 9) John Enos; (hole 13) Darryl Beech; (hole 18) Susanne Osofsky
- Longest Drive – (hole 11) Scott Killyanski and Corrine Syson
- Straightest Drive – (hole 5) Charlie Epstein
A Tribute to Seymour Frankel by Sue Kline
Seymour – the volunteer, arts maven, fashion pro
Seymour – the organizer, fundraiser, man on the go
Seymour acting in plays, tutoring youngsters in class
Seymour organizing bus trips to events at UMass
Big ideas drove him, but his eye for detail was sharp
So he’d comfortably adjust a gal’s poorly tied scarf.
Seymour tanned, dressed impeccably, sporting a smile
Plaid shirt, khakis, brown shoes – displaying just the right style,
Like Oprah, Madonna or Elvis of fame
Seymour was an icon known by just his first name
We here laud his assets – and there’s more – do you know it
Our dear Seymour was also an excellent poet
As friends traveled the world and had memorable times
He’d capture their adventures in lighthearted rhymes
And when at golf classic memorabilia we took a look
Found his ode of gratitude in the first program book!
His volunteer efforts abounded – that’s who Seymour was
Alzheimer’s, Red Cross, Rays of Hope– each was his cause
But the Home was his passion, his touch felt everywhere
Daily visits, support, guidance – ambassador extraordinaire.
Here he honed to perfection his fundraising skills
Through letters and phone calls – even selling daffodils
We celebrate Seymour’s achievements in every season
But the annual Golf Classic is today’s predominant reason
For, years ago Seymour and friends had the vision
To bring a grand golf event to robust fruition
Thanks to him and fellow founders comes our Frankel-Kinsler Classic
A day of fun, fundraising and bonding fantastic
So, with this poem, we are honoring the Home’s best friend
To cap off our tribute as it comes to an end.
Let’s toast one whose life’s mission was helping JGS be more
And raise our glasses together remembering our beloved Seymour!
Thank you to our In-Kind Donors. Please patronize them with your business!!
- AC Produce
- Attitudes by Tina at Ciao Bella Salon
- bNapoli Italian
- Bar Beauty at AltaModa
- Batch Ice Cream
- Brown’s Pet & Garden Store
- Cal’s Wood Fire Grill & Wine Bar
- Celery Stalk
- Center Square Grill
- David DiRico’s Golf Shop
- Delaney’s Market Longmeadow
- Great Horse
- Fast Feet
- FL Roberts/Golden Nozzle
- Fleet Feet
- Four Seasons Wine and Liquor
- Grapevine Restaurant
- The Kitchen
- Lacrosse Unlimited
- Li’s Brothers
- Longmeadow Package Store
- Longmeadow Salon
- Lululemon in Longmeadow
- Margie Grodsky Pottery
- Majestic Theater
- Munich Haus
- Pete’s Sweets
- Quality Beverage
- Riggios Pizza
- Shelburne Falls Coffee Roasters
- Silvi Salon
- Ski Haus
- Sofia Italian Restaurant
- Tandem Bagel
- The Pizza Shop
- The Shot Doctor – Dr. Steve Sobel
- Tremblay Maison
- Ume Asian Bistro Villa Napoletann
- Visual Changes
- And thank you to Jeff and Scott Grodsky for the donation of the 4 Red Sox Tickets!!
Gold Sponsor ($5000)
- Albert & Judith Goldberg Family Foundation
- Harry Grodsky & Co., Inc.
- Lynn D. & Gilbert A. Haberman Family Fund
- Steve & Georgianne Roberts
Refreshment Cart Sponsor ($4,500)
- Hub Retirement and Wealth Management
- Formerly Epstein Financial Services
Lunch Sponsor ($3,500)
- Berkshire Bank
Silver Sponsors ($2,500)
- Alekman DiTusa, LLC
- Century Investment
- CliftonLarsonAllen, LLP
- Donna, Emily & Joely Frankel
- Kaste Industrial Machine Sales, Inc.
- Nancy, Jim, Jesse & Ben Pelletier
- ProCare LTC Pharmacy
Table Sponsors ($1,000)
- Carr Property Management, Inc.
- Northstar Pulp & Paper
- Pearson Systems, Inc.
- TD Bank
- The Ruth K. & Ralph G. Webber Family Foundation
Cart Sponsors ($750)
- Aaron Posnik & Co., Inc.
- Bacon Wilson, P.C.
- Capital Recovery Group, LLC
- City Tire Company, Inc.
- Contractors Home Appliances, Inc.
- The Dowd Agencies
- Gekay Sales & Service, Inc.
- Geriatric Medical
- Goldsmith, Katz and Argenio, P.C.
- Goodless Electric Co.
- Guardian Angel Senior Services, Inc.
- HPC Foodservice
- Ruth & David B. Katz
- Susan & Ed Kline
- Alissa & Steven Korn
- Kosher Mart Foods
- Marcotte Ford
- Meyers Brothers Kalicka, P.C. (2)
- NAI Plotkin
- Susanne & Robert Osofsky
- Sixt Rent A Car
- Spartan Auto Care Centers
- U.S.A. Hauling & Recycling, Inc.
- Bruce & Barbara Winer & Family
Hole and Tee Sponsors ($275)
- A to Z Moving & Storage, Inc.
- Aaron Smith, P.C.
- Michelle & Stuart Anfang
- Ascher Zimmerman Funeral Home
- Associated Building Wreckers
- Auto Sales Center
- Automotive Fleet Remarketing
- Barco Automotive
- Baskin’s Inc.
- Betsy & Joel Bertuzzi
- Borawski Insurance, Inc.
- Brad’s Service Center
- Braman Termine & Pest Elimination
- Broadway Office Interiors, Inc.
- Carol & Charlie Casartello (2)
- Chase, Clark, Stewart & Fontana Insurance Agency
- The Collins Company
- Corporate Systems Associates (2)
- Crestal Health Periodontics
- Cyber Systems
- Amy & Steven Dane
- Day Lumber Company
- EMA Dental
- Ear, Nose & Throat Surgeons of Western New England
- Bonnie & Dan Engelman
- Fitzgerald Attorneys at Law, P.C.
- Florence Dental Care
- Forest Park Eye Care
- Freedom Credit Union
- Richard M. Gaberman, P.C.
- Glenmeadow (2)
- Susan & Jonathan Goldsmith
- The Gordenstein Family
- Grosnick Financial
- Linda & Richard Goldrick
- Haberman Insurance Group
- Susan & Richard Halpern
- Horizon Sheet Metal
- Intentional Calm
- Joseph Freedman Co., Inc. (2)
- Wendy Kimball
- Dr. Mary Kreitzer
- Miriam Lieff
- Mayor Domenic Sarno (City of Springfield)
- McKenna Caban Family Orthodontics
- New England Retina Consultants
- Petruccelli Family
- Polish National Credit Union
- Qualified Plan Consultants, Inc.
- Rachel’s Table & The Federation of Western MA
- R & R Industries
- Ralph’s Blacksmith Shop
- James Rosenthal & Halina Wiczyk
- Shatz, Schwartz & Fentin, P.C.
- Law Offices of James M. Smith
- Eric & Barbara Sokol
- Sperling Interactive
- Springfield Corrugated Box, Inc.
- Steven Stimell
- Michael Szwed Jewelers
- Heidi Steinmetz & Jay Weissman
- Uno Pizzeria and Grill
- Weiner Law Firm, P.C.
- Glenn Welch
- Carol Wernick & Family
Donors ($250 – $500)
- Bill Burrows
- Robinson Donovan, P.C.
- William Sadowsky Family/
- Levsky Family Fund
- Leslie & Andrew Wetstone
- Jonna Gaberman &
- Bruce Wintman
- Robert Friedlander
- Yvonne & Bob Baevsky
- Saul Finestone
- Nicole Illouz
- Rabbi Devorah Jacobson
- Rabbi Noach & Esther Kosofsky
- Jean & William Licht
- Kathleen and Seth Roberts
- Naomi Schoenberg
- Marsha Shapiro
- Barbara Slater
- Patricia Smith
Donors (Under $100)
- Jerry Baker
- Adele Citron
- Ann (Genden) & Stan Forman
- Brenda & Charles Gibson
- Marlene & Jim Gordon
- Beth & Michael Paysnick
- Wendy & Allen Mackler
- Barbara & Arnold Ravelson
- Winona & Thomas Witowski
- Eric Schwartz
Hole In One Sponsors
- Garry Rome Hyundai
- Teddy Bear Pools
- Tekoa Country Club
Course Refreshment/Activity Sponsors
- Batch Ice Cream
- Quality Beverage
- Tournament Solutions – Air Cannon
- Hillary & Frank Suher/ES Sports
- Golf Balls & Umbrellas
- The Golden Nozzle
- Car Wash Tickets
- News & Events
- Senior Meals
- Senior Safety
- News & Events
- Press Releases
- Adult Day Health
- Personal Care
- JGS Lifecare in the News
- JGS Lifecare Latest News
- Featured Articles