105 Years Old and Counting
Founded in 1912 by thirteen Jewish women, JGS Lifecare began as the Daughters of Zion Home for the Aged in Springfield. Over the past century, we have undergone several transformations as we have responded to the changing needs of the elderly in the Pioneer Valley area, and we’re still reinventing ourselves!
What started as a stand-alone home for the aged has grown to include a family of services, agencies and programs:
- The Leavitt Family Jewish Home moved to its Longmeadow campus in the early 1970s, and expanded in the early 80s, bringing total bed capacity to 200, making it one of the largest nursing homes in western Massachusetts. In 1984, the Alzheimer Specialty Care Unit opened the first specialized nursing home Alzheimer’s unit in the region. In 2013, the Frances B. Cohen Palliative Care Program was established, helping people better manage a life-limiting illness, and in 2014, clinical capabilities and therapy coverage of our Rehabilitation Services were expanded to better serve short-stay residents.
- Wernick Adult Day Health Care was established in 1984, one of the first adult day health centers in Massachusetts. Wernick will soon expand and add specialized Alzheimer’s care to its adult day services.
- Genesis House, on the Harold Grinspoon Campus, also opened in 1984, offering housing for elders with low to moderate income. Additional units were built in 1992 and 2003, bringing total units to 109.
- Spectrum Home Health was created in 1994 bringing skilled nursing into the privacy and comfort of your own home. A certified hospice program was added in 2007.
- Ruth’s House Assisted Living Residence for seniors of all faiths, opened in 1998, providing a homelike residence for people who may need assistance with day-to-day activities, as well as a specialized Alzheimer’s secure neighborhood.
- The JGS Lifecare Music & Memory Program launched in 2014, bringing music therapy into the lives of our nursing home residents, Ruth’s House, and Wernick Adult Day Health Care.
- The Sosin Center for Rehabilitation, the first Green House® certified facility in western Massachusetts, opened in December 2016, ushering in a new model of short-term rehabilitation care offered in an environment designed to feel like home. It features two households, each accommodating 12 residents in private rooms with full bathrooms, as well as a central kitchen, dining room, living room and den. Rehabilitation is provided in the household by a team focused on helping each resident reach their rehabilitation goals and return to normal routines and the things they love to do.
Our vision has always been to be a national model of excellence in care and staff services, recognized in our local community as a proud caretaker of people of every faith and background. So as we enter our second century, we invite you to discover the JGS Lifecare difference.